This innovative training is designed for prosecutors and forensic interviewers as they work together to hone specific trial advocacy skills necessary to successfully present testimony and strategically counter common defense tactics during child abuse trials.
Training methods include lecture and audience discussion, review of recorded forensic interviews, experiential skill-building exercises, and participation in mock court. Each participant will receive a training manual, and access to additional training materials online.
The training combines didactic presentations with practical small group exercises for an optimal learning experience. Topics include:
- Introduction/Overview of Current Best Practice in Forensic Interviewing
- Creating and Using the Curriculum Vitae
- Court Preparation and Testifying
- Qualifying and Testifying as an Expert Witness
- Meeting Untrue Defenses with the Underpinning Research
- Direct, Cross, and Re-direct Examination of the Forensic Interviewer
This two-day training is designed for teams of forensic interviewers and prosecutors. Team registration (a forensic interviewer and a prosecutor) is required. Individual registration will not be accepted.
Forensic Interviewing faculty includes nationally-recognized experts who are also practicing forensic interviewers. Prosecutor faculty includes senior attorneys from the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys. In addition, small group exercises will be facilitated by highly experienced forensic interviewers and prosecutors.
Training at the NCAC Training Center in Huntsville, AL is 2 days from 8:30am to 5:00pm each training day.
A certificate of attendance will be awarded to participants who attend the training in its entirety.
- One Breakfast Voucher per room at the NCAC Host Hotel full-service restaurant for each day of training
- Catered lunches provided for each day of training
- Complimentary airport shuttle service available from NCAC Host Hotel
- Shuttle service between hotel and training center provided for trainees who stay at the NCAC Host Hotel
- Registration Fee: $99 per registrant (therefore a team of two is $198)
This project was supported by Grant No. 2015-CI-FX-K003 awarded by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. Points of view or opinion in this document are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.
May 3-4, 2017